A bunch of high school students in Colorado walked out in protest of some proposed changes to the US history curriculum. Here’s an excerpt from the Mediaite article:
‘This is merely a proposal, it has not been instituted yet. But the proposal involves the promotion of “citizenship, patriotism, essentials and benefits of the free-market system, respect for authority and respect for individual rights” while not covering or barely glossing over material that would “encourage or condone civil disorder, social strike or disregard of the law.’
Okay. Let that sink in for a second. Now… public high schools in this district want to instruct young minds in all the positives about America while ignoring any of the bad stuff. Where oh where to start?
1. Promotion of citizenship: According to folks like Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter, Bill Kristol, Faux News airheads (female and male) and all the other armchair warrior idiots would have you believe that the good ol’ USA is the greatest fucking thing since Jesus. Is it true? Fuck no it isn’t true. To be fair, there are a lot of good things about America and yes, Americans enjoy far more freedom than millions (billions?) of others, but give me a fucking break.There are many countries where the people enjoy far more freedom, have a higher standard of living, and their neighbors are far less violent. The US has some of the most expensive medical care in the developed world and it’s the most violent country in the developed world.
The US is the only country that levies an income tax based on citizenship. No matter where you live. No matter how long you haven’t lived in the US, no matter how long it’s been since you even visited the US, you must pay taxes to the US government as well as the local taxes where you live. This is the reason there are more and more expats renouncing their citizenship. America is hated in many parts of the world and traveling on a US passport isn’t ideal. I don’t want to be kidnapped just so I can be beheaded on television because of America’s murderous foreign policy.
Also, I’d hazard a guess that when these folks (school administrators) talk about citizenship, they mean being a good citizen. You know, ‘see something, say something’ just like the Stasi and the KGB taught children raised under the horrors of communism. Be a good citizen and love your government.
2. Patriotism: Again, this is about loyalty to a government and not your family, neighbors, and friends. Patriotism is an excuse that’s been used to justify mass murder, genocide, war profiteering, and being a fucking Republican. USA! USA! USA!
3. Essentials and benefits of the free market system: They mean crony capitalism or mercantilism as Murray Rothbard called it. The US does not have a free market system and nobody in any government type job (like teachers) knows what the free market is and they certainly aren’t going to promote it. If public school teachers had to work in the free market, half the fuckers would be out of a job, because they’re just plain shitty teachers. There’s a reason America has the worst public education system in the free world and a big part of that reason is the teachers. No, it isn’t about funding and only shitty teachers bring that up.
A free market system (capitalism) would have let the auto industry implode along with many banks and other businesses in 2008. A crony system like that employed in America (this is what campaign donations are for) stole money from taxpayers and fed it to businesses that should have been allowed to go bankrupt. That’s what happens in the opposite of a free market system. In an actual free market system, consumers choose whom to do business with and businesses that are run poorly implode. Buh bye.
A free market system would not see billions in taxpayer dollars funneled to special interests whose businesses would simply go bust because the consumer doesn’t want the product. There’s a reason taxpayers have to fund companies that make solar panels and windmills and that’s because they’re a totally inefficient means of generating power for something like the US grid. I have panels on my roof and they work great for a single home. For the entire US? Um, no.
Remember that not so affordable care act? Written by special interests (medical insurance) who have since seen their profits explode. The FACTA bill? Written by Wall Street and other financial interests and didn’t (wow, surprise, surprise) do anything to prohibit very wealthy people from keeping their money, but it did fuck over the middle class expats. Again.
Also, many people are always bitching about de-regulation. Regulations are, for the most part, prizes awarded to special interests to stifle competition. There’s nothing free market about any of this.
4. Respect for authority: Do what you’re told mundane. Now the shitty news propagandists in the US mainstream media showed all kinds of asshole Marxists during the Occupy protests. Remember? What they didn’t show much of was how the majority of protestors were peaceful. They weren’t Marxists, and they didn’t act like shit heads (so that means in the US, they didn’t make the news because that’s not entertaining). Who remembers this?
When they say that want to teach ‘respect for authority’ what they mean is they want all you bad little mother fuckers who think for yourselves to knock that shit off and comply.
‘But it was alright, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother.’ George Orwell – 1984
5. Respect for individual rights: The US doesn’t really have a good track record on individual rights. Yeah, sure. American’s enjoy more rights than people in say, North Korea, but those ‘authority’ figures abuse your rights every fucking day and the courts let them.
The US government has granted the President the power to act as judge, jury, and executioner. The President can, and has, declared anybody he want’s a terrorist or a threat and have them killed without so much as ever presenting a single document for evidence of guilt. Obama says he wouldn’t do such a thing. He already has and he’s a pathological liar so… fuck him. Does Obama think about individual rights when he’s drone bombing innocent children in Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, and elsewhere? Yeah right.
The US loves to spout about democracy and individual rights, but props up dictators and murderers so long as they do Washington’s bidding. The recent coup in Ukraine saw the US backed fascists and neo-nazis come to power, while ousting a democratically elected president. Adding insult to injury the US Congress hosted their new puppet Victor Poroshenko, a man who is using the Ukrainian military to kill as many of his own people as he can. He came to the US, received a rousing approval before asking the US government to steal more money from US taxpayers and give it to him along with more and more weapons.
According to the same article the new history curriculum would either not cover or gloss over ‘material that would “encourage or condone civil disorder, social strike or disregard of the law.’
By civil disorder or social strike they mean protesting. See above for how authority feels about your right to protest.
1st Amendment to the United States Constitution:
‘Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.‘
Despite what some would have you believe, this is a very simple and clearly enunciated sentence. Been to a US public university in the past, oh, decade? They have a limited number of free speech zones. Small areas delegated to letting students enjoy their fucking Constitutional right to free speech. Why? Mostly because a bunch of left-wing pussies can’t tolerate having their idiotic views challenged so they bitch about being offended. Did I mention they were pussies?
Public school administrators in this Colorado school district are attempting to indoctrinate, yes indoctrinate, their students into loving the state and not ever voicing discontent. You have a right to protest and they seem to want you to feel that it’s wrong hence their wanting to teach those ideals which they deem positive. Anything not approved of as positive is of course, negative.
Those that lean towards the political right will view this as good because God knows, America has never done anything bad and if the US happened to do something bad, well, we were trying to do good, so fuck off complainers. It does no good to talk to right-wingers about the need to study real history because like I said, they tend to view America as the second coming of Christ.
There are some on the political left that aren’t entirely fucking hypocrites who will see this for what it is. A program straight out of Nazi Germany. Unfortunately there are more hypocrite lefties then not and as long as the lying child murderer Obama is in charge, this will be welcome because government is good until a Republican is in charge.